Friday, February 04, 2005

the practice of the presence

I recently finished reading practice of the presence of God by Brother Lawerence. Being continually aware of the Lord's presence, asserts Brother Lawerence, makes God's presence in times devoted solely to Him that much more real and moving. I understood the logic but this morning experienced it.
As I have been going through my days, I have tried to remain in the presence of the Lord; uttering small prayers of acknowledgement and thanksgiving. Not that I would consider myself living in the continual presence of God but I now experience God in places like the gym and while stuck traffic. This morning as I wrestled with the first chapter of the book of James, I felt as if I were immersed in God's presence. The intellecual knowledge of John 1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.
is mine. This morning the experiential knowledge, the encounter, with the person Christ as the Word of God, was mine as well.
Thank you Father God for the many ways in which you meet us.

No comments: