Sunday, January 02, 2005

Why does church have to be this way?

I just got off the phone with dear friends who called to say they were leaving our church. They have been partners in mininstry, supporters and encouragers. Their daughters are very involved in our student ministries. Their eldest daughter is our boy's favorite babysitter. We have invested much in them and they have invested much in us. They have given countless hours of their time and energy, given selflessly of their resources. To say they will be missed is an understatement.
Were they without faults? No. But they love God and they Love other people. And I love them.

They told me they have felt God calling them elsewhere for some time now. Their season with us is over. I don't want to stand in the way of anyone following God's call. With that said though, I don't get it! I don't like it. And I don't understand it! Why does church have to be this way?

When I was in the marketplace people came and went all the time. It never felt personal like this. It never hurt like this.

No comments: